06 March 2012

laughter is the best medicine

It probably has to do with the massive amounts of stress that I am under all the time... Oh this weird/crazy life. But I find that laughing has become more and more important to me. I need to do it every day. Its not too hard to get my fix with all the insane and strange things that happen around my house... Lots of which, I probably shouldn't talk about here. Lets just suffice it to say, living with a lot of women who work a job where you have to talk about embarrassing things (such as sex, breastfeeding, women problems, etc) can get pretty darn interesting sometimes.

The lastest jokes might have to do with birth, whether it was a funny birth in a taxi, jeepny, tricycad, or CR (bathroom). The best part is the looks on the faces of the people who were not planning to be at the birth (taxi driver, jeepny passengers, etc.) Oh I think that birth can be SO funny.

I once had a patient who had a taxi birth. I asked her when she had felt the urge to push... She told me when the taxi driver took her to the local government hospital and that was where she first felt the need to push, then she told him. "NO, take me to that one (the one where I volunteer) clinic!!!!" She had her baby shortly after ( it was her third, so he just sort of slid out on the way to the clinic). They were super fun to take care of though! A sweetheart couple in love with each other and their baby!

There was another birth here a few days later. A lady had her baby on the jeepny. The best part? The other passengers were all nursing students! They just looked on and were terrified! Haha. Poor people...

Or maybe we laugh at some horrified bana's reaction to his wife giving birth for the first time (my favorite is when the bana threw up 6 times).

Yes its true... Lots of funny things happen around here. Some are appropriate to talk about, some aren't. But I think it is the much needed comedic relief for a life of such intensity. We are after all serving the poor, and sometimes sad things happen. Sometimes we are left slightly traumatized, and a really good or really funny birth is JUST what we need to move on. God knows right? He is great at sending the perfect comedic relief, or awesome patient at the perfect time. He is SO good. Because God knows, that sometimes we just need to laugh so hard that we shoot milk out of our nose... Even though we hadn't had milk for months.








No comments:

Post a Comment