06 August 2011

The Journey Begins

So, after a CRAZY week of goodbyes, I survived packing and being rear-ended less than 48 hours before I was set to leave the USA, and now here I am in Portland!

(A little back story on the car accident. I have been going to the chiropractor for the last 3 weeks, and was making incredible progress in the healing of my neck. Then I was rear ended! I had whiplash and I still needed to finish packing and doing things non-stop until it was time to go! I wound up going for my last adjustment on Friday where they gave me the good and bad news. Bad: my neck had moved a lot and was seriously inflamed/traumatized. Good: since my neck was now used to being adjusted from the previous 3 weeks, they were able to move it back into place and let it stay and not be more traumatized. I knew it was God's faithfulness. I was a bit sore the first two days, especially after packing and hauling a huge backpack and carry-on with neck trauma! But I iced my neck when I got to Gary and Lynn's house (our hosts). In the morning I woke up and have felt great ALL day! Praise God for His faithfulness! He really gave me the grace to believe for healing instead of hopelessness!)

I arrived last night at 4:45pm. As I walked off the plane SO tired and exhausted with 2 overstuffed carry on bags, I slowly but surely made my way to baggage claim. When a friendly gentleman with a big smile asked me if I was a midwifery student, I had stop myself from flinging myself into his arms! I was SO relieved to be off the plane and in the care of a DAD! Gary loaded up my WAY overstuffed bags into the suburban and took me to the Embassy Suites parking lot right by the airport, where we met Annabelle and Eileen (the IHOPpers). We then headed up the freeway to Clatskenie (pronounced KLATS-KEN-EYE) Oregon, where his wife (Lynn) and daughters were waiting and preparing dinner and lots of amazing sweets for us.

(Gary and Lynn are good friends of the directors of the school in the Phils and they lived there for 8 years and have been back in the states for the last 4)

We met and had dinner with the other midwifery students (there are now 10 of us here in Portland/Clatskenie). Gary drove us to the coast today, where we hiked up and mountain and then went to the beach. During a pit stop at Costco, Annabelle and I went in to find her a swimsuit, which she had apparently forgotten to pack, and Gary bought us our last strawberries we will be eating for the next year! I was SO honored, because I had just mentioned earlier how I was going to miss them! What a dad heart! My love tank was full!!

We got back in time for Lynn to serve us an amazing dinner of lasagna and spinach salad! YUM. Oh and of course, more sugar. Haha. Then they shared with us girls about dress code and some other practical matters regarding clinic conduct and spiritual health. We closed in prayer, then I went back to the house where we are staying to downsize my bag about 40lbs to make it affordable to take! My bag was 91lbs and I couldn't even pull it without a struggle! I will be sending another Balikbayan box from Portland for less than half the price I would have paid in overage fees!

The Lord has blessed our time here so much though! I am really enjoying the company of the girls (and Gary). We are so like-minded in SO many ways! Each one from a different place with a different background, but all SO wholehearted for God. I really feel it will be an honor to serve alongside these women on the mission field. I know already that I will be able to trust them and go deep with them. Thank you Lord for your blessing, provision, and camaraderie! Can't wait to board that plane on Monday to the Philippines!



Newlife class of 2013!!!

2 comments:

  1. Best friend!! AHHH!!! I can't believe this is for real, it brings tears to my eyes to see you on that mountain with those girls, you look at home together. I'm gonna be honest, I'm a little jealous they get you full time for the next two years. I love you so incredibly much and I can't imagine you being anywhere else right now. I'm praying for you!
    ♥BFF
    P.S. Good start with blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenn, nobody will ever replace you in my heart! And thanks for the affirmations! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete