11 August 2011

First day in the Phils

Well, after 37 hours of travel, I have made it to my new home in Davao City! The last day has been a little bit of a jet lagged blur, and I still feel like I am moving sometimes when I stand still. We arrived at 5:30pm last night (Wednesday). After dinner and a quick house meeting, we all started to settle into our new places and spaces.

The house is a bit more full than usual, because there are some girls interning here for the summer, and they are living in the other house right now. So, at the moment, we are sharing a 6 bedroom house with 19 girls. Out of the 6 bedrooms, 3 are used as student rooms (4 girls to each room). One of the rooms belongs to Joy, a graduated student who came back to re-vamp our curriculum. The second room is known as the "air con room" and is used for after girls get off night shift and need to sleep during the day hours. There is 2 sets of bunk beds in there. The 3rd and final room is our study room. I have claimed a corner space, which I am pretty excited about. I will be able to put my computer, textbooks (as soon as they arrive, and PLEASE pray that they arrive soon!), and all other school related items. I am planning to build a nice little study corner!

Today, we got photos for our I-cards (Identifications Card) that we will be getting once our visas come through and went shopping for cell phones, laundry items, toiletries, sheets, and other goodies we will need. Unfortunately, I was not able to get all the things I need, because I am waiting for more money to come through. I had a decent amount of money saved, but I had to spend a about $200 to get my luggage over here since they only allow 15 kilos on the domestic flight we took from Manila to Davao, and also about $75 to get a phone, SIM card, and "load" (for a pay as you go plan).

(I am still in need of monthly supporters as I have more expenses coming up with for my visa, household essentials, school supplies, and also outreaches. If you would like to support me with a one time or monthly gift, please email me, and I can let you know how to do that. I would greatly appreciate it!) 

After shopping, I went with a few of my classmates, and one of the staff at the clinic to get a massage and recover from the plane trip over here! (Sleeping upright does NOT make your neck feel good).  I had one of the best massages of my life by a very sweet Filipina and all for a whopping $3.50! HAHA. Doesn't get much better than that. I am feeling SOOO much better, and my neck has thanked me multiple times since then. After the massages, Heather (our teacher/clinic staff) informed us that we needed to find our own way home by riding in a tricicab, jeepny, or motorcycle taxi. It was a pretty short ride home, and we made it home in time for dinner. I was in heaven, there was homemade chili, cornbread, squash, and a very big very healthy/green salad. Tomorrow we get to go to Paradise beach for orientation and all home to catch some Z's and get some book reports done! I start shadowing at the clinic on Monday! As for the rest of this night, I believe it is time to lock my computer in its bag, away from the ants (who think its the coolest home ever), and go to bed. I will catch up after Paradise!



2 comments:

  1. Yay! Lindsey, I am so excited for you! I am crying lol, although that could be a combo of hormones! Love you very much! Have fun and learn lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you are so sweet darling! I am excited too! Its pretty crazy being here. I am really enjoying it so far though! I get to start shadowing at the clinic on Monday! I have pictures and stuff to tell you!

    ReplyDelete