17 July 2012

Back in the Phils! Baby catching year 2

Well, hey there! Its me here, Lindz. I've been back here in the Philippines for almost 3 weeks now. I have to say, as much as last year was a challenge for me, I am so please to be back here! It was really hard for me to leave home. It was really comfortable to be home with family and friends, and I cannot express how much joy it brought me to be with some of the most influential, loving, transparent, gospel loving people I have ever met! It was great being back in the fold of the Table Community for excellent church services, hugging friends babies, and feeling babies in the tummies of my dear friends!
It was awesome being exhorted, challenged, and encouraged by my friends and pastors. Being totally transparent about how I am and how my year was. I was for sure happy to be with some of my most favorite people and celebrate some weddings, graduations, and babies with you all!! I am only sad the time was so short. I wish it could have been longer, because I missed seeing some people that I really wanted to spend time with!

Well, transitioning on to the Philippines. The last three weeks have been really nice. Getting back into the groove has proven to be a pretty natural process. I mean, I by no means have graduated to being ready to midwife on my own or anything, BUT it feels good to be with women again, and catching their babies is of course, one of my all time favorite things to do! As far as school goes... Well uhh... Lets just say it has always been a challenge for me to hit the books. I am generally a last minute kind of girl, which so far has gotten me a little behind. Something I have been praying a lot about, asking God whats up with my attitude, and why is is SO hard for me to get a lot of work done until I am right up against a deadline! Well, He is working on it. Challenging me in that, among other things. So if you think about it, pray for me! I am definitely in need of support of that kind!

Aside from my continuing academic challenges, I feel like year two is shaping up to be a good year for me! I will be a 2nd year midwife here, and I feel like have really come through the most challenging aspects of cultural adjustments. I feel much more comfortable and at ease with getting around the city, with the language. Which, my Visayan is sucky at best but it can still get me through a prenatal, birth, and postpartum. In fact, I just recently learned the word for dewormer and I am pretty excited about it! Now I can effectively tell women why I am giving them the little white pill with one quick word, instead of a ton of other explaining and hand motions!! HAHA. Anyways, yes I am excited about this year. I am expectant for God to do amazing things in my life, and the lives of others!

This last Saturday was pretty fun! I caught my first baby since coming back to the Philippines! It was a sweet G5 mama and she had a beautiful little 6lbs 15oz girl! SO fun! The birth was kind of interesting. I've never been so nervous for a catch in my life actually! I was concerned maybe I would forget everything or something. But it was fine. She started to give birth in a side laying position, which was fine for when the head came out, until I had a heck-of-a-time trying to get the rest baby out that way, so she rolled onto her back and I got her out (I'll have to work on that maneuver later!). Then sweet little Rechelle was born! It was right around 2:15pm (the beginning of my shift), so I got to spend the rest of the evening taking care of them and then discharging her. She hemorrhaged around 700cc at birth, then continued bleeding for about an hour postpartum. We gave some pitocin in an IM (intramuscular injection) and then an IV of NS (normal saline) + 20 units of Pit incorporated to help to restore her fluid volume and contract her uterus to stop the bleeding. I really enjoyed the patient! She did great with breastfeeding, and even breastfed a baby whose mother was transported to the hospital for a bad hemorrhage! What a great mother :)

After that, I had prenatal clinic on Monday, where I took 2 continuity patients! I will do all their prenatal care from now until birth, be at the births (if all goes according to plan), and then provide postpartum care visits as well. One of the patients was a 15-year old G1 who speaks almost no Visayan and lots of English! The other patient was a G2 and happens to be the bookkeeper at our clinic. Super fun! I will probably get to see her way beyond her baby's birth!

Well with that, I should go and get some work done on my Intrapartum assignment! My studies await! Ciao!

Also, if you have a chance, please check out my tumblr! I posted some information about infant and maternal mortality, some things about midwifery, and some great pictures too!  Its kind of like a creative outlet for me, and also an educational tool for maternal and infant mortality, and why midwifery is such an important and growing job throughout the world! I hope you all enjoy it!

Midwife Life

3 comments:

  1. After seeing Renee, I would so love to see you in action at a birth! By the way I'm trying to find time to write my birth story, I know you at least would appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for reading my blog!! Love you :)

      Delete
    2. Uhh... YES. I would love that! And someday, perhaps you will see me in action at a birth! Its not unlikely ;) Oh and I cannot wait to meet your little man. In case I hadn't already made my excitement for that clear. I was like... elated when he was born. I think I got a birth high from over here.

      Delete