25 April 2011

Goodbyes and Double Portions


A few days ago, one of my most precious spiritual fathers sat in my kitchen with me and we chatted about my relationship as a Rock of Roseville missionary and also as a Table Missionary. He pointed out to me how I am blessed with a double blessing and a double covering! These two ministries have both had a huge part in raising me up and making me who I am now. They are the same in heart in many ways, yet completely different in structure and practical execution of daily life. In fact, my spiritual father likened it to being sent out by Grandpa[The Rock] but also by Dad[The Table].
I have begun to build this ministry[The Table] for the past 2 years.It feels like it has already been a lifetime since we started our first community home group at Kelvin’s house (on Friday night). Though it was almost exactly two years ago. Our second community group (on Tuesday nights at my house, the Sunflower House) just had its first birthday! I can’t believe how the time flies.
Well, I could not imagine going anywhere without taking the heart of Table community with me. It is a commission I feel from God to share what I have learned and to pray forth an atmosphere of healing, discipleship, faith, and radical love.

Pastor Marco asked me as we sat in the kitchen, “What are we going to do without you? Who is going to champion for us?” and I really have to trust God that He is calling me to go, and that He will take care of things here. I am praying that this will be a time of immense growth in our community. That people will stand up and champion. People will become sold out to our vision of living Christian lives of community, like we have read about in the book of Acts.
Acts 2:43-47
43And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.44And all that believed were together, and had all things common;45And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.46And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”
This is the promise the Lord has given to me to pray. I feel that our community is a place of healing and preparation. For some it is a destination, and they wind up here by an act of God. For others it is merely a pit stop on their way to their destiny. But this is a place which God has raised up, anointed, and called His own. He has called forth the destiny of many young people, healed their brokenness, and trained them to minister in their daily lives. I see this place as a training ground. When people come here, they begin to change. Their hearts begin to warm and they realize who God is and how they are loved deeply by Him. I have been told it is a safe place, lacking judgement and criticism, and having open arms of love and acceptance. Though we do not compromise the truth, which we believe comes from the holy and perfect word of God.
So as I prepare to leave Roseville, an obscure suburb of Northern California (where our largest and most important landmark is a mall) I have resolved to stay in the moment as I prepare for the future. I will continue to build, seek God and pray for this place. I will not pass up any ministry opportunity for what I may perceive as lack of time. I will pour everything I have into doing what God has for me to do. My work is not finished here, and I know that as August gets closer, the Lord will continue to surprise me with the things He has for me.
I am looking toward the future with a smile on my face. I joyfully anticipate the adventure that awaits me in the Philippines. I earnestly seek Him in all that I do. I LOVE my Jesus! And He LOVES me! I am so excited to be anywhere that He is. I know His heart for me and I don’t know how not to be joyful in the presence of His love and under the direction of His teachings. Though it will be difficult, I know I will have waves of homesickness and see things that are very hard to see that I cannot control, I know that I will also be experience the joy that I have in Christ Jesus as I am in His will. That is always my portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment